Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Let Down and Dissapointed

All my hard work gone to waste. ................ i feel like crying.


































A few weeks ago i blogged about being asked to create a range of accessories for a friends Fashion show at Rosemount Fashion week. I was SUPER excited and flattered to be asked but had limited time to do it all and was going to be away for the show. I worked my little butt off trying to put together a bunch of stuff without much direction or briefing and got 17-20 pieces done and off to my friend by the end of a week with business cards i'd had made up and promises of my name on the flyer etc.

I knew they were still deciding on the style directions so i wasnt sure they would use allot of the pieces but i recieved really enthusiastic feedback so i was feeling positive about what i'd done and hoped they'd at least use a few pieces.

They didnt use a single piece i designed...........apparently the hair and make up artist just didnt want to use them.

I worked late nights, put off paying work, was totally disorganised for my trip away and got my hopes up all for NOTHING! Im just so sad that a friend would get my hopes up like this, get me all excited about the prospect of publicity and real design work, get me to make all these items and then not use them.

This will probably make me think twice before i offer my services for free next time.

7 comments:

Gina said...

Oh, my heart aches for you. How gutting. I'm sure your friend is dissapointed too, on your behalf. I hope something good comes out of this for you, eventually.

chloejessica said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! Don't give up on your dream! Your pieces are great and they were silly not to use them! :)

Melissa G said...

I know exactly how you feel. I've been down that path many-a-time. For the 100 positive reviews you get it just takes 1 little misfire to bring your castle down.

Luckily a few days will pass and something new will rekindle your passion and you will remember why you do what you do. Maybe the next time your friend has a show or event they can try again to incorporate your art.

Don't give up... so sang Kate Bush.

Jo said...

Your pieces are gorgeous and unique! I'm sure your friend feels bad about the designer's decision.
And I know what you mean about offering your services for free....I get so torn sometimes, too.
Keep creating! I haven't seen anything like your pieces anywhere. They're amazing!!

Kylie said...

Oh that's just too awful! They are so amazing and should have been purchased regardless of whether they eventually used them or not... Actually, even then, you don't ask for a special order like this and then not use them - that's just so thoughtless. It sounds like your friend was so stressed out with her own agenda that she wasn't thinking straight and let some 'random' (as my daughter would say!) dictate things because she was so overwhelmed by all the decisions. Let's hope she's learned a thing or two from this. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, Nikki. Keep your chin up - you have nothing to be ashamed of. You did the right thing and are not responsible for the actions of others, okay?
Kylie x

M* (Melanie) said...

Oh that is awful and so disappointing. Your pieces are so beautiful and so original. I am really sorry you have been let down and so unfairly.

Don't take it personally, it's definitely not you. You did everything right, it was the other end that let it all down.

=)

Cindy said...

That's such a shame Nicola. There's nothing more heartbreaking when you work so hard...
Just think, you have all these wonderful pieces and not one of them is a waste of time. You have a beautiful Esty store - don't let this fallen through opportunity let you down, you do great work!